Megan’s Fitness Blog
A great place to visit when you have a few minutes to improve your life!
Aftershokz Wireless Headphone Deal
I have always loved to work out with my Aftershokz wireless headphones, read about it HERE. But during this quarantine, I seem to be using them 24/7! I am wearing them to work out, walk, cook, clean, and tune out my kids when things get crazy. The best part is that with the open ear bone conduction you can hear everything around you while still listening to your favorite playlist, podcast or audiobook. Check them out!
Thanks for visiting my blog, here is a discount link for 15% OFF ANY PAIR!
Sunglasses for Every Sport
During the last month, I kicked off my summer bucket list wearing Knockaround sport sunglasses. They are nothing short of amazing! They stay in place with embedded nose pads and are comfortable and lightweight. I wore them walking, running, biking, hiking and even playing tennis. They never fogged up and for once sweat didn’t get in my eyes. I always use wireless headphones while working out and the shades fit perfectly with them. With a variety of cool colors and styles, they are the perfect addition to your summer workouts.
If you are interested in getting a pair of these glasses for yourself, feel free to use code “BibRaveKnocks4” for 20% OFF entire order (one use per customer).
One of the benefits of my role as a BibRave Pro ambassador is that I get to road test great products like this for the fitness industry, but only the best products make it to my blog page. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews.
Tasty Quarantine Recipes
I have always loved to cook but never had the time to fully commit to it. Now that we have been in quarantine, it seems I have a bit more time than I would have ever imagined. I have had so much fun trying different healthy recipes. Here are a few of my favorites from “Skinnytaste One & Done” and “Run Fast, Eat Slow”. They are easy to make, chock full of nutrients and most importantly taste delicious!
LEMON PARMESAN SHRIMP WITH BROCCOLI AND CAULIFLOWER
- 1 lb raw medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I used garlic chunky garlic stir in paste)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium head broccoli, cut into florets (about 1 pound)
- 1 medium heat cauliflower, cut into florets (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup (1 oz) pine nuts, toasted
- juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place shrimp in a medium bowl and add 2 teaspoons olive oil, garlic, shallot, Italian seasoning, ½ teaspoon salt, and black pepper, to taste. Gently toss to coat; set aside.
- Place broccoli and cauliflower florets on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and black pepper, to taste. Toss well
- Roast for about 20 minutes tossing halfway through.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and nestle the shrimp among the florets. Roast for 7-8 minutes or until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Top everything with the Parmesan, pine nuts and lemon juice. Put back in the oven for 2 minutes.
HONEY-MUSTARD CHICKEN BAKE
- Four 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I used boneless chicken breasts cut into medium cubes)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1½ cups cauliflower florets
- 1 medium red onion, chopped, layers separated
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Season chicken with salt
- Combine the honey, mustard, and 1 teaspoon of thyme.
- In a baking dish, toss together the vegetables, olive oil, remaining salt and remaining thyme.
- Roast on center rack for 10 minutes, toss the vegetables and place chicken on pan. Spoon the sauce over the chicken. Return to oven and roast another 30 to 35 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil and broil everything for 2 minutes.
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (use gluten-free if sensitive)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I did not use nuts)
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins, optional (I used ¼ cup of craisins and ¼ cup of dark choc chips)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 eggs, beaten (I used 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites)
- 1 cup grated zucchini (about 1 zucchini)
- 1 cup grated carrot (about 2 carrots)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (I used 4 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup Grade B maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- paper muffin cups
- Arrange a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond meal, oats, walnuts, currants or raisins, if using, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, zucchini, carrot, butter, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups filling each to the brim. Bake until the muffins are nicely browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 to 35 minutes.
Quarantine Workout #2 – No Equipment Needed!
Step-ups- Step right foot, then left, up onto a step or sturdy bench, then step down. Switch your starting side with each set.
Triceps Dips- Sit on the edge of a step or bench. Grab the edge of the elevated surface and straighten the arms. Bend them to a 90-degree angle and straighten again while the heels push towards the floor. To make it a little harder, lift one leg off the ground.
Burpees- Start out in a low squat position with hands on the floor. Next, jump the feet back to a push-up position, complete one push-up, then immediately return the feet to the squat position. Leap up as high as possible before squatting and moving back into the push-up portion.
Mountain Climbers- Starting on your hands and knees, bring the left foot forward directly under the chest while straightening the right leg. Keeping the hands on the ground and core tight, jump and switch legs. The left leg should now be extended behind the body with the right knee forward. Get into high plank position. Place your hands firmly on the floor while bracing your core and back is flat. Lower your body down towards the ground, keeping back flat and body in a straight line with arms close to the body at a 20- to 40-degree angle from your body. Ideally, you want your chest to touch the floor while maintaining proper form. Exhale as you push back up to starting position.
Modifications: 1) Cross your ankles and do the push-up from your knees. 2) Stand close to a wall and place hands at shoulder height, step feet back keeping heels lifted up entire time and bend arms until your whole body comes close to the wall.
Crab Walk- Sit with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground. Place your palms of your hands on the ground behind you. Lift hips a few inches and walk forward on your hands and feet like a crab, then walk backward.
Superman- Lie face down, with your arms and legs extended. Slowly lift your arms and legs off the ground as high as you can while keeping your neck relaxed and looking down at the ground. Hold, then lower.
Pretend Jump Rope- Extend Arms out to the sides as if you are holding a jump rope and spin arms around while you jump keeping feet close to the ground.
Wall Sits- Stand against a wall with your back firmly pressed against it and your knees spread about shoulder width apart. Slowly slide down so that you are in a sitting position. Keep your feet away from the wall about a foot.
20 Minute NO EQUIPMENT workout
With everyone stuck inside during this difficult time, exercise has never been more important! For our physical as well as mental health, movement is key. Here is a quick workout where you don’t need any equipment. Throw on some music and give your body what it needs!
- HIGH KNEES 1 MINUTE
- 15 PUSHUPS (DEPENDING ON YOUR FITNESS LEVEL)
- HIGH PLANK MT CLIMBERS 30 SECONDS
- 20 JUMPING JACKS
- 20 SLOW SQUAT JACKS
- 50 BICYCLE CRUNCHES
- 20 HIGH PLANK JACKS
- 20 TRICEP DIPS ON A CHAIR OR BENCH – ADVANCED: KEEP ONE LEG OFF THE FLOOR ENTIRE TIME
- 30 HIGH KNEES
- 30 BUTT KICKS
- 10 PUSHUPS
- HANDS AND KNEES – OPPOSTITE ARM/LEG RAISE – 20 TIMES
REPEAT TWICE THRU
Finding my strength during quarantine
As runners, we are constantly pushing ourselves both mentally and physically. I have given a lot of thought to that concept over the last few weeks. As we head into the 3rd full week of shutdown, things are getting harder for everyone each day. I started thinking back to the times in my life when I felt the strongest, the times when I didn’t think I could take another step but still managed to cross that finish line at mile 26.2. I began to channel that same strength to get through this madness. All of this is so unknown, so many unanswered questions, so many scary new pieces of information coming our way each day, each hour, each minute.
Last summer, I tore a ligament in my right foot which put me in a boot and sidelined my running for several months. I came out of the boot at the end of September and started to build back into running slowly. Fast forward 3 weeks and I was presented with an amazing opportunity by Aftershokz (the fabulous headphone company that I am proud to be a Shokzstar athlete for) to go out to Southern California and run the Revel Big Bear Half Marathon. At that point, the furthest I had run since my injury was 4 miles and I was in no way prepared. By hey… it was SoCal and I was not going to pass up this chance to run for my Aftershokz team.
It feels like yesterday being driven up to the top of that mountain at 4:30am. I was filled with a mixture of panic and happiness but I was determined to enjoy every minute of it. As we started down the hill, I had no idea how my foot would hold up but I pushed it out of my head. I started soaring faster and faster taking in every beautiful bit of scenery, saying hi to as many runners as I could, listening to amazing music and taking pictures every mile. I found myself feeling stronger with each step and I kept that strength until I crossed the finish line. I was thrilled with my time but moreover I knew in that moment that I had the strength to overcome anything that came my way. Since then I have taken every chance I could to be positive about life, always trying to find the good in even little things. These past few weeks have tested all of us in a way we could have never thought possible. Think back to when you felt your weakest and yet found the strength to get through it, channel that, use that to power through, to know that you are stronger than this and that we will all come out on the other side more powerful in body and mind.
Looking for a solid snack?
I own a fitness company and am constantly looking for healthy and delicious products for my clients and myself. I am traveling for work the majority of my day and need snacks that I can easily bring on the road with me. I have tried a variety of protein bars in the past but they all had a rather chalky taste. More importantly, they were often filled with ingredients I could not even pronounce rather than things that would fuel my body.
I was so excited to try these bars. I received 3 boxes with a variety of flavors. I decided to leave some out and freeze the rest. That was a good call because they are even better as a frozen treat! I shared the first few with my 11 year old son and many of my clients. They all loved the taste and what they loved even more was their low calorie count and high nutritional value. They literally taste like candy bars with their creamy goodness and smooth texture. It is hard to pick a favorite but I would probably have to say the peanut butter. I have several frozen and grab one after my morning runs or as a snack in the car traveling to clients.
* Gluten Free
* No Artificial Flavoring or Coloring
* No Artificial Preservatives
* No GMO
* No Wax
One of the benefits of my role as a BibRave Pro is that I get to road test great products like this for the fitness industry, but only the best products make it to my blog page. These are a winner and I will continue to enjoy them as a boost of protein through out my day!
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.